How to contact Student Services

We have a Student Services Hub at each of our campuses.

You can contact Student Services through a wide range of avenues such as:

Telephone: 01483 500 845

Email: Contact:

Drop in: Students can drop in and visit the Student Services Hub to speak to a member of the team between 9am – 5pm, Monday – Friday.

Using the myACM (student app) ‘Help’ button: Our commitment to you is that a Student Hub Advisor will aim to respond to your query within three working days.

Student Services is a visible presence on each campus and our Student Services Teams are on hand to assist and advise you on a diverse range of issues that can include:

  • How to register with a local GP or dentist
  • Accommodation
  • Managing the transition from home to student life
  • Being separated from family and friends
  • Networking to make new friends and contacts
  • Improving confidence and motivation
  • Balancing study with employment or being a parent/carer
  • Handling stress, anxiety, sleeping or eating difficulties
  • Financial advice and support – managing money, budgeting, travel bursaries and applying for student hardship loans.
  • General information on health and wellbeing
  • Referrals to internal and external support services
  • Careers advice and guidance and support with writing CV’s or completing job applications
  • Council tax/ proof of address/ proof of attendance letters
  • Lost property

Student Services Support – Online Canvas Module

All ACM students have access to the Student Services Canvas module. You can find information on what Student Services do, who we are, how to contact us as well as information on external support agencies that support a range of issues including mental health, emotional wellbeing, eating disorders, substance misuse, staying safe, sexual health and bereavement.

Big White Wall

As part of our commitment to ensuring that we meet the mental health and wellbeing needs of our students we have developed a partnership with Big White Wall.

This is a universal service and all of our students from September 2019 will have access to Big White Wall. Students will be able to register for an account using their ACM email address and have access to this service.

Big White Wall is a free, anonymous and non-judgemental online environment supporting your mental health and wellbeing. The service offers support for a wide range of issues, including anxiety, depression, stress, trauma, relationship problems and lifestyle challenges.

The service provides 24/7 online peer and professional support from trained counsellors. Big White Wall provides a safe space online to get things off your chest, explore your feelings and learn how to improve and self-manage your mental health and wellbeing.

ACM students can sign up to Big White Wall here:

Specialist Support Services at ACM – Wellbeing Advisors/ Mentors and Counselling Services

Students can be referred to Specialist Support Services at ACM to support them during their studies.

We have Specialist Support Services in the form of Wellbeing Coaches/ Mentors and Counselling Services at each of our campuses.

These sessions will provide individual short-term interventions for students where they can discuss issues that are troubling them in a safe, supported and confidential environment.

We offer this service free of charge for all current ACM students.

Our Wellbeing Coaches/ Mentors can offer practical help and specialist support for the following areas:

  • Improving lifestyle choices (including substance misuse and addiction issues)
  • Life coaching
  • Strategies to help cope with anxiety (including performance anxiety).

These services are referral based and students who would like to access Specialist Support Services would need to speak to a member of the Student Services Team.

In addition to Wellbeing Coaches/ Mentors, our students also have access to Counselling Services at each of our campuses.

Following an appointment with one of our Student Services Team, individuals can be referred to a Wellbeing Coach/ Mentor or qualified Counsellor for Specialist Services support.

Wellbeing Coaches/ Mentors

Programme of up to 6 sessions

Counselling Service

Programme of up to 10 sessions

Please note that the number of individual sessions offered will be based upon need and therefore some students may not require access to the maximum number of sessions available to them.

Wellbeing Weeks

Student Services run regular Health and Wellbeing Weeks on each campus. These involve activities, guests and information that focus on promoting positive wellbeing across our campuses. Look out for the latest information and guest line-ups which will be advertised around campus as well as on the Student Services Canvas module.

  • External Support Services and Crisis Line Numbers

    External Support

    We can help students access external support services and agencies by providing them with contact details and support to contact or refer themselves to the service. There are a wide range of external support agencies that are universally accessible to any student and some services that operate locally. These include Crisis Line Numbers that students can contact.

    Student Services in each campus are able to provide a comprehensive list of both universal and localised support for students.

    Although ACM Student Services can offer support, advice and guidance to all students, please be aware that we cannot provide an emergency/ crisis support service. If your need is extremely urgent, please contact the following organisations that can best assist you with your support your needs:

    In an Emergency

    If you feel you are in immediate danger of seriously harming yourself or someone else, please dial 999 to contact the Emergency Services or go to the nearest A&E Service Department or NHS Walk in Centre.

    POLICE 101

    This is the number to call when you want to contact your local police in the UK when it’s less urgent than a 999 call.

    Call: 101 (from both landlines and mobile networks) cost 15 pence per call, no matter what time of day you call, or how long you are on the phone.

    NHS 111

    Open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

    111 is the NHS non-emergency number. It’s fast, easy and free. Speak to a highly trained adviser, supported by healthcare professionals. They will ask you a series of questions to assess your symptoms and immediately direct you to the best medical care for you.

    Call: 111 (free from landlines and mobile phones)

    Local GP finder

    Local Dentist finder

    National Helplines

    For information, support and advice.

    Big White Wall

    All students at ACM can now access free online support with Big White Wall.

    Whether you’re suffering from stress, are struggling to sleep or simply need someone to talk to, Big White Wall can help you get support, take control and feel better.

    You can get things off your chest, express yourself creatively, and access a library of self-care resources, including clinical tests, tips and guided group courses with topics ranging from Managing Stress & Anxiety to Quitting Smoking. Trained counsellors are online 24/7 to keep all members safe and provide extra support. Big White Wall can help you with adopting useful coping strategies and behaviours to improve your experience at ACM.

    Big White Wall is completely anonymous, so no one needs to know you are using the service unless you tell them.

    To join, simply go to and sign up under ‘organisation’ with your ACM e-mail address.         

    The Samaritans

    Befriending helpline for anyone in crisis or despair, open 24 hours/ 365 days per year.

    Call: 116 123



    SANE runs a national, out-of-hours mental health helpline offering specialist emotional support and information to anyone affected by mental illness, including family, friends and carers.

    Call: 0300 304 7000 (4:30pm to 10:30pm every day) Website:

    The first point of contact for information on all government services, including money, tax, benefits, disability, employment and carer’s rights.

    Anti-terrorist hotline: 0800 789 321


    The Campaign Against Living Miserably is an award- winning charity dedicated to preventing male suicide, offering crisis support by phone helpline, webchat or website. 5pm-midnight, 365 days a year.

    Call: 0800 58 58 58

    Papyrus (Prevention of Young Suicide)

    HOPELineUK Help dealing with suicidal thoughts or feelings for young people under the age of 35, plus advice and support for anyone concerned about a young person with suicidal thoughts.

    Call: 0800 068 41 41

    Mon – Fri: 10am – 10pm

    Weekends: 2pm – 10pm

    Bank Holidays: 2pm – 5pm

    Text: 07786209697


    Student Minds

    Student Minds is the UK’s student mental health charity. They aim to empower students and members of the university community to look after their own mental health, support others and create change.

    Cruse Bereavement Care

    Call: 0808 808 1677 (helpline, see website for opening hours)



    Offer support, advice and information to children, young people and adults when someone dies. They run a helpline as well as bereavement counselling and also facilitated self-help groups across the country.


    Free, safe and anonymous online support and community for young people.

    Monday – Friday: 12pm – 10pm

    Saturday – Sunday: 6pm – 10pm

    Mind Infoline

    Call: 0300 123 3393

    Text: 86463

    Bipolar UK

    A charity helping people living with manic depression or bipolar disorder.

    Counselling Directory

    Online counselling directory for anyone seeking counselling services.

    OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) Action

    Support for people with obsessive compulsive disorder. Includes information on treatment and online resources.

    Call: 0845 390 6232 (Mon-Fri, 9.30am-5pm)

    Rethink Mental Illness

    Support and advice for people living with mental illness.

    Call: 0300 5000 927 (Mon-Fri: 9.30am-4pm)

    The Mental Health Foundation

    Provides information and support for anyone with mental health problems or learning disabilities.


    Information on child and adolescent mental health.

    Text: YM to 85258

    Anxiety UK

    National charity run by people with lived experience of anxiety, aiming to support everyone affected by anxiety.                                       

    Call: 08444 775 774 (Mon-Fri: 9.30am-5.30pm)

    Text: 07537416 905



    Stonewall empower LGBT people to be their authentic selves, enabling them to realise and achieve their full potential, and empower LGBT people and allies to create positive change.

    Call: 0800 0502 020 (Freephone)

    Lines are open Mon to Fri: 9:30am – 4:30pm (Answerphone available outside these hours)


    Friendly confidential drug advice.

    Everything you want to know about drugs.

    Text: 82111

    Call: 0800 77 66 00 or 0300 123 6600


    Live chat: (2pm – 6pm seven days a week)

    Rape Crisis

    Call: 0808 802 999 (freephone helpline, see website for opening hours)


    National charity supporting anyone who has experienced rape, child sexual abuse and/ or any other kind of sexual violence. It runs local helplines and centres across England and Wales, details of which can be found on their website.

    Survivors UK

    Call: 0203 598 3898



    Provides help and support for men who have experienced sexual violence or abuse. This includes counselling and online and SMS chat support services run by professionals who specialise in the field of male sexual violence.


    Contact Crimestoppers anonymously with information about any form of crime.

    Call: 0800 555 111

    Sanctuary Supported Living

    Offering a range of support services to enable people to live independently and achieve their personal goals – whether that is help finding a job, help getting their own home or making new friends.

    Call: 0330 123 3247


    Tackling homelessness. Support, advice and guidance here:

    Macmillan Cancer Support

    Help, advice and support with worries and plans regarding money, work and all matters related to cancer diagnosis.

    Call: 0808 808 00 00 (Mon – Fri 8am -8pm)


    Fearless is a service that allows you to pass on information about crime 100% anonymously. This means you don’t have to give us any personal details.

  • Health Care

    Health Care

    What can I do?

    When you join ACM, you should register with a local Doctor and Dental Surgery. The Student Services team can help you to sign up to a local GP (General Practitioner).

    Doctors/ Dental Surgeries

    Your GP can help you with a wide range of issues and also refer you to external help such as counselling, Physical Therapists and Specialist Doctors. To register is a simple process and is highly recommended:

    • To find your nearest surgery and a list of GPs go to the following website and enter your location:
    • To register you will need to complete a registration form. If you have any queries regarding this, please just ask one of the Student Support team for advice. This will require you to provide your name, term-time address, NHS number, previous Doctor’s details and your views on Organ donation. NB: Some GPs may ask for photo ID and proof of address.
    • Your new Doctor’s surgery will be in contact to do a quick health check before you will be able to book appointments.

    Dental health is also an important part of physical health, especially if you come across a dental emergency while at ACM.

    You can find your nearest NHS Dentist via: and by entering your term time postcode.

    Please be aware that some Dentist’s surgeries may only be allowed to accept a certain number of NHS patients, so you may not be able to get a place at your local surgery. However, if you require urgent treatment and you do not have a dentist, contact NHS 111 for advice on where you can get urgent care.

  • Advice on Meningitis

    Advice on Meningitis

    What is Meningitis?

    Meningitis is an illness where the coverings of the brain and spinal cord become inflamed. It can be caused by viruses, bacteria, or other agents. The spread of the disease is normally by close social interaction and is prevalent in the young and the old. Thus, although there is an enhanced risk in higher education establishments cases of meningococcal disease (meningitis) amongst students in are relatively rare, but the effects can be extremely serious or even fatal.

    Bacterial meningitis is not common, but is a serious illness and needs urgent treatment with antibiotics. The most common of the bacteria that cause meningitis is the meningococcus. These bacteria can also cause blood poisoning (septicaemia), which is the more dangerous form of the disease. The term meningococcal disease refers to both the meningitis and septicaemia forms of the disease caused by the bacteria.

    What you should do:

    Get vaccinated

    NHS England strongly encourages new students to be vaccinated with Meningococcal ACWY (MenACWY) vaccine. This protects against meningococcal disease, which can cause meningitis, septicaemia and death. Talk to your GP to make sure that you have already had your vaccination during your time at Secondary School or through your GP before you start ACM, or from your GP as soon as you can after you arrive. The vaccination is free to UK and international students under 25 years of age.

    If you have been immunised against meningitis, you need to check if you have had MenACWY as it has not always been a part of the National Immunisation Programme. The MenACWY vaccine is not the same as Meningitis C.

    Meningitis is not common and the last thing that we would want to do is cause panic across our cohort but it is also important to keep our students well informed, especially if doing so could potentially help to save lives.
    ACM takes its responsibility for the health and safety of its staff and students very seriously. In the event of an emergency like infectious diseases, ACM will contact its community in a number of ways, such as through website alerts and email. ACM Student Services team will work with local health authorities and Public Health England. In some cases Public Health England will take the lead on contacting students.

    Register With a Local Doctor

    When you join ACM, you need to be registered with a Doctor locally to ACM or your hometown if you are commuting to ACM from home. You can find local doctor surgery information on the Student Services Module on Canvas. Also if you are here and ill, let a friend and let ACM know so we can keep in touch with you. Look out for one another, we are a community.

    Recognise the symptoms

    Meningitis is not easy to detect at first because the symptoms can be similar to those of flu. Recognising the symptoms early enough could mean the difference between life and death. Someone with meningitis will become very ill. The illness may take over one or two days to develop but it can develop very quickly with the patient becoming seriously ill in a few hours.

    Symptoms include fever, vomiting, headache, stiff neck, aching joints, a dislike of bright lights, drowsiness and this is sometimes accompanied by a rash.

    It’s easy to confuse the symptoms of meningitis with a hangover or flu, but meningitis can kill in hours if it isn’t treated. Make sure you know the signs so you can get urgent help.

    Find out more about the symptoms here:

    Get emergency help

    If you think you or someone else may have meningitis, call 999 for an ambulance or make your way to hospital immediately if safe to do so asap. Describe the symptoms carefully and say you think it could be meningitis.

    You should also contact the ACM at the earliest convenience if you do go to hospital and we will keep in touch with you and the Health Authorities. If the case is confirmed or probable then Public Health England will take the lead on prevention and will work with ACM to assist students.

    Don’t Panic!

    Meningitis B is extremely rare and is not highly contagious and the transmission risk is low. This information is just as a precaution. If you are worried or have any concerns you should contact your own GP or call NHS111 (dial 111 from a phone) for guidance, or else use 999 for emergencies. Additionally please go to the or
    for more information on symptoms and signs.

  • Vaccinations

    Other Vaccinations you need for College / University

    Stay healthy at College or University by getting the vaccinations recommended by the UK Government’s Department of Health. Find out which ones you should have.
    Talk to your doctor and find out what vaccinations you will need.

    Getting your vaccinations

    Before you come to University, you should have been vaccinated against certain diseases.

    We strongly advise that you consider having these vaccinations before coming to ACM.

    If you haven’t had all the vaccinations, you can get them via your doctor. If you need advise/help with registering with a local doctor when you get to ACM you can ask Student Services for help with this.

    Vaccinations you should have

    The UK Government’s Department of Health recommends that you should have vaccinations
     meningitis (MenACWY)
     diphtheria
     measles, mumps and rubella (MMR)
     polio
     tetanus

    There may be other vaccinations that are not on the list, so you should check with a doctor.

    UK students

    If you are from the UK, you might have had some vaccinations as a child as part of a
    National Immunisation Programme. Talk to your doctor to find out which you have had and if there are any you need to get before you come here.

    International students

    If you are from outside the UK, you will need to be vaccinated against the diseases listed.
    You should be vaccinated for tuberculosis (TB) before you enter the UK. If you are applying for a Tier 4 visa, you might also need to be tested for tuberculosis. 

    Talk to your doctor about any other vaccinations you might need to come to the UK. You
    should also check with your local embassy to find out if you are legally required to get any vaccines before coming to the UK.

    We recommend you get your vaccinations before you leave home. If you get your
    vaccinations in the UK, you may have to pay for some of them.

Visit ACM

Open Days, experience the atmosphere of ACM, explore our facilities, meet our tutors and have your questions answered. Guests welcome.

Upcoming Open Days:
London, Guildford and Birmingham
Sign Up

Register Your Interest


If you’d like our assistance, please contact one of our team via the details below:

Student Services
Tel: 01483 500 800

Current students can also hit the ‘Help‘ button on myACM .