This post was written more than two years ago. The content or information below may no longer be accurate.
IMPORTANT UPDATE: Following his recent victory in the DMC Online Championships, ex-ACM student Jon Furst attended the World DMC Championship Finals in London and claimed an incredible 3rd place losing out to DJ Fly (1st) and Richie Ruftone (2nd).
ACM would like to extend our congratulations to Jon for this amazing achievement and look forward to catching up with him in person to talk tactics for next years competition!
ACM would like to congratulate Jon Furst (Cert HE Music Production 2008) on being crowned the DMC Online Champion for 2013!
Voted first place by former DMC World Champions, Jon was one of hundreds who applied for this annual competition where DJs submit a six minute set demonstrating their musical use of technical DJ tricks like scratching and beat juggling.
By winning this contest, Jon has now been entered into October’s prestigious DMC World DJ Championship Finals against national DJ champions from around the world to find 2013’s cream of the DJ crop.
ACM already have a strong connection with DMC thanks to Chad Jackson, 1987 DMC World DJ Champion and acclaimed UK remixer and producer who also teaches Electronic Music Production at our Guildford Music School.
”Jon is a perfect example of how to succeed through focus, humility, hard work and determination. Same as any musician, with turntablism the hundreds of hours of practising through blood, sweat and tears does pay off. Full marks, Jon…you smashed it big time!”
Chad Jackson Electronic Music Production Tutor at ACM
Jon Furst Career Highlights
- He runs his own club night DROP, in Leicester, which is due to celebrate its 5th Birthday in October with special guests Danny Breaks and Kutmah, and is also a resident DJ with Birmingham’s Under The Counter collective.
- Resident at DROP (Leicester), Under The Counter (Birmingham/Nottingham).
- 2013 World Online DMC Champion
- 2012 World Online DMC Finalist (5th in the World)
- 2012 UK DMC Finalist (London Champion)
- 2011 World Online DMC Finalist
- 2011 UK DMC Finalist (Midlands Champion)
- His main project outside of battles like DMC is DJing and his festival credits include Bestival, The Big Chill, The Edinburgh Festival, Shambala, Soundwave Croatia and Strawberry Fields, while Jon has previously opened for acts such as Daedalus, MF DOOM, Mosca, DJ Vadim, Africa Hitech, Om Unit, Qbert, DJ Craze, Araabmusik, LV, Lord Finesse, The Herbaliser, DJ Format, ARP101, Spectrasoul, Mickey Pearce, Debruit, Tokimonsta, Alexander Nut, Luke Vibert, Kidkanevil, Lorn, Illum Sphere, Kromestar, Doc Daneeka, Ghost Mutt, Mr Thing, Kutmah, Gang Colours, Flako, The Nextmen, Free The Robots, DJ Woody, Aries, Mike Gao, Randomer, Two Inch Punch, Blue Daisy, Reeps One, DJ Switch, Buddy Peace, Fingathing and Sweatson Klank.
- His guest mixes have featured on radio stations such as NTS London, Resonance FM London, Control Radio Italy and Radio Oxigenio in Lisbon.
“Jon1st killed it: the best DJ I’ve seen play for ages, and I’ve played with everyone from Diplo, Duck Sauce, Grandmaster Flash, Rev Run, Z-Trip, Craze, Madlib, Just Blaze, Premier, Skream, Bassnectar, Lil Louis Vega, Ali Shaheed Muhamed, Laurent Garnier, Shadow, Flying Lotus, Mary Ann Hobbs, Gilles Peterson…Jon is sick on the decks. He smashed it! One of the best nights out for ages. ”
DJ Vadim Ninja Tune/BBE
“Probably the best DJ I have ever seen. Speechless.”
Blackwax Tube10/Liminal Sounds
DJ Cheeba Solid Steel
Congratulations to Jon on claiming the title and ACM wish him luck and look forward to tuning into the DMC World DJ Championships in October!