Student Relations OfficerLocation : birmingham Employment type : FULL_TIME Expires : 2022-08-19 Department : Student Services Salary range: £25,000 - £30,497
ACM is a specialist creative industries education provider with approximately 2,200 students on a range of FE and HE programmes in Music Performance, Creative Artistry, Production, Technical Services, Business Management and Games Development. Our creative and dynamic environment blends academic excellence and professionalism alongside leading-edge industry thinking and business innovation.
ACM will incubate potential and talent, supporting the personalised development needs of our students to facilitate a structured path from education to employment.
We provide a safe and supported space where creative talent and imagination can flourish in a caring environment. Barriers to learning are identified through a holistic and person-centred approach to unlock the potential of the individual, enabling personal growth through professional and academic development. Our core aim is for our students to enjoy lifelong sustainable careers underpinned by applied learning and a specialist, cutting-edge curriculum.
Therefore, our vision is to not only be the leader in applied, industry-connected, creative arts education but to also be the leader in care and support for mental health and other traditional barriers to learning, thereby driving up the standards expected within higher and further education.
To provide an immersive student experience, with a curriculum which is connected to the industry in real-time, based on a learning by doing ethos. Our core aim is to build confidence and self-awareness, providing students with the skills necessary to recognise and take opportunities.
Ultimately our mission is to enable students to fulfil their potential and enjoy a sustainable career within the creative arts industry.
We are looking to appoint a customer focused Student Relations Advisor for our ACM Birmingham campus. The Student Relations Advisor’s primary duties will be carried out in collaboration with staff across the Student Services Team in ACM’s approach to the student experience and student support. The purpose of this role is to provide outstanding student-centred customer service to the ACM students and the wider ACM community, dealing with queries on all aspects of student life at ACM.
- Provide frontline student support in resolving general queries within the timeframes stipulated by ACM’s Service-Level Agreement
- Maintain accurate records of student interactions including topics, actions taken and outcomes
- Refer students to appropriate team members for support with specialist queries
- Maintain a working knowledge and understanding of ACM’s policies and regulations, and legislation relevant to the sector
- Assist the wider Student Services team in making outgoing calls to students and prospects to provide general support
- Provide a first line of support and, if appropriate, act as student advocate in matters relating to Extenuating Circumstances application and Student Disciplinary procedures
- Provide general information, advice and support to students on aspects of their journey at ACM including accommodation advice.
- Experience working in a busy customer-focused role
- Excellent IT skills with particular proficiency in Excel/ Google Sheets
- Excellent organisational skills, ability to prioritise and manage administrative processes and to undertake specific tasks to tight deadlines
- Ability to develop good working relationships with colleagues and students
- Ability to provide a high level of professional judgement; confidentiality; diplomacy; cultural awareness and sensitivity; when liaising with staff, students and other key stakeholders
- Have an understanding of Safeguarding, Prevent, GDPR, the Equality Act, and Codes of Ethics for Confidentiality
- Be a self-starter with the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work flexibly in a fast paced environment
- Willingness to undertake any required training for the role such as Fire Warden & First Aid Training
- An undergraduate qualification or relevant professional experience
- Experience working in educational settings
- Experience of working in Higher Education
- Understanding of regulations and processes relevant to Higher Education study (e.g. Student Finance/ funding).
All ACM staff work to the same values which are:
To empower individuals from diverse backgrounds, to maintain accessibility, and provide an inclusive organisational culture.
To provide environments that support personal and professional development through a holistic approach and bring the benefits of the creative arts to the wider community.
Agility and innovation
To provide an inspiring organisational culture that embraces innovation through openness, flexibility, creativity and self-evaluation.
To recognise the benefits of working closely with industry and others, to embrace new technologies, and to provide meaningful opportunities, in order to enhance learning.
Professional and academically strong standards
To provide state of the art professional environments, to inspire determination and enthusiasm, and ensure high professional and academic standards.
This job purpose reflects the core activities of the post. As the Department and the post-holder develop, there will inevitably be some changes to the duties for which the post is responsible, and possibly to the emphasis of the post itself. ACM expects that the post-holder will recognise this and will adopt a flexible approach to work. This could include undertaking relevant training where necessary. Should significant changes to the job purpose become necessary, the post-holder will be consulted and the changes reflected in a revised job purpose.
ACM reserves the right to close job adverts earlier than the advertised end date where required based on volume of applications received.
Download Job Description
Download a .pdf version of this job descriptionDownload
Apply for this job
To apply for one of our vacancies please download and complete an application form. Please note CVs cannot be submitted without a completed form.
Application forms should be returned by the advertised closing date to email@example.com or by post:
HR and Recruitment Team
The Academy of Contemporary Music
The Rodboro Buildings, Bridge Street, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 4SB
Please note some positions may be subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Each job advertisement will detail the closing date for applications. We regret that we are not able to accept applications received after this date. Once shortlisting has taken place, successful candidates will be contacted by the HR and Recruitment Team and invited to attend an interview.
Due to the volume of applications we receive for our vacancies, it is not possible to keep in touch with every applicant. Therefore we would ask you to assume that if you have not heard from us within 4 weeks of the advertised closing date, your application has not been successful on this occasion.