FileMaker DeveloperLocation : guildford, hybrid Employment type : FULL_TIME Expires : 2022-06-24 Salary range: £30,000 - £45,000
ACM is a specialist creative industries education provider with approximately 2,200 students on a range of FE and HE programmes in Music Performance, Creative Artistry, Production, Technical Services, Business Management and Game Development. Our creative and dynamic environment blends academic excellence and professionalism alongside leading-edge industry thinking and business innovation.
ACM will incubate potential and talent, supporting the personalised development needs of our students to facilitate a structured path from education to employment.
We provide a safe and supported space where creative talent and imagination can flourish in a caring environment. Barriers to learning are identified through a holistic and person-centred approach to unlock the potential of the individual, enabling personal growth through professional and academic development. Our core aim is for our students to enjoy lifelong sustainable careers underpinned by applied learning and a specialist, cutting-edge curriculum.
Therefore, our vision is to not only be the leader in applied, industry-connected, creative arts education but to also be the leader in care and support for mental health and other traditional barriers to learning, thereby driving up the standards expected within higher and further education.
To provide an immersive student experience, with a curriculum which is connected to the industry in real-time, based on a learning by doing ethos. Our core aim is to build confidence and self-awareness, providing students with the skills necessary to recognise and take opportunities.
Ultimately our mission is to enable students to fulfil their potential and enjoy a sustainable career within the creative arts industry.
ACM has an opening for a full-time FileMaker Developer to enhance (existing) and build (new) systems to support the delivery of academia within the institution. They will use both technical and people skill sets to lower barriers, ensuring that the data held in those systems is secure, usable and accessible to a range of stakeholders across the organisation, and a creative skillset to identify opportunities for innovation and efficiency through good systems design. The successful candidate will work on development tasks, end user training, user documentation and application support/troubleshooting for a variety of ACM’s in-house designed FileMaker solutions and their connected systems (by way of APIs and ODBC connections), and support in areas of database administration.
- Enhancing existing database and web services solutions to meet user needs.
- Troubleshooting user issues with existing solutions.
- Creating training guides so that users may be more self-sufficient in their data needs.
- Assisting Registry Data colleagues in querying multiple datasets for the purpose of compiling reporting where they are not able to do so themselves.
- Responding to requests for data and documenting process around the creation of commonly requested data sets such that other users may ultimately service the data request themselves. This could include making the data accessible by way of Dashboard platforms such as Tableau, that are already in use across the organisation.
- Seeking out opportunities for using data to make our product and the way we deliver it better, more efficient and more engaging, thereby helping students to achieve more, improving our student retention and progression.
- Assisting Registry Data colleagues in compiling data to specifications set by internal and external stakeholders (such as HESA) in a variety of formats including XML and JSON.
- Designing and performing data quality oriented tasks such that the quality of data arising from reporting at ACM is always improving.
Essential Qualifications and Experience
- 2+ years experience with FileMaker database development on Mac, PC and Mobile Platforms
Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
- FileMaker Server, Server Side Scripting, Custom Web Publishing and the FileMaker DataAPI
- Web fundamentals including XML, PHP, JSON
- RESTful-API services
- RDBMS skills eg MySQL, SQL
- Knowledge of regulatory data requirement in the HE sector (eg HESA returns)
- Other Academic Registry / HE Data experience in areas such as Timetable, VLEs
- Proven to be a skilled problem solver with the ability to address a wide range of programming and technical challenges
- Highly self-motivated and proactive along with being a reliable and dedicated team player
- Eager to learn new development techniques with FileMaker and other platforms;
- Demonstrates highly-ethical behaviour and good judgement at all times
- Effective listening, verbal, and written communications skills
- Ability to ensure accurate, timely completion of assigned responsibilities/projects
- Demonstrated ability to professionally respond to stressful situations in a patient, friendly, and timely manner
- Good collaboration skills.
All ACM staff work to the same values which are:
To empower individuals from diverse backgrounds, to maintain accessibility, and provide an inclusive organisational culture.
To provide environments that support personal and professional development through a holistic approach and bring the benefits of the creative arts to the wider community.
Agility and innovation
To provide an inspiring organisational culture that embraces innovation through openness, flexibility, creativity and self-evaluation.
To recognise the benefits of working closely with industry and others, to embrace new technologies, and to provide meaningful opportunities, in order to enhance learning.
Professional and academically strong standards
To provide state of the art professional environments, to inspire determination and enthusiasm, and ensure high professional and academic standards
Please be aware all ACM staff must undergo a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Check prior to starting. This will need to be renewed once every three years.
This job purpose reflects the core activities of the post. As the Department and the post-holder develop, there will inevitably be some changes to the duties for which the post is responsible, and possibly to the emphasis of the post itself. ACM expects that the post-holder will recognise this and will adopt a flexible approach to work. This could include undertaking relevant training where necessary. Should significant changes to the job purpose become necessary, the post-holder will be consulted and the changes reflected in a revised job purpose.
ACM reserves the right to close job adverts earlier than the advertised end date where required based on volume of applications.
Download Job Description
Download a .pdf version of this job descriptionDownload
Apply for this job
To apply for one of our vacancies please download and complete an application form. Please note CVs cannot be submitted without a completed form.
Application forms should be returned by the advertised closing date to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post:
HR and Recruitment Team
The Academy of Contemporary Music
The Rodboro Buildings, Bridge Street, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 4SB
Please note some positions may be subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Each job advertisement will detail the closing date for applications. We regret that we are not able to accept applications received after this date. Once shortlisting has taken place, successful candidates will be contacted by the HR and Recruitment Team and invited to attend an interview.
Due to the volume of applications we receive for our vacancies, it is not possible to keep in touch with every applicant. Therefore we would ask you to assume that if you have not heard from us within 4 weeks of the advertised closing date, your application has not been successful on this occasion.