This post was written more than two years ago. The content or information below may no longer be accurate.
Having graduated from ACM’s then HND in Contemporary Music (now CertHE) in 2002, guitarist Drew Lowe has gone onto carve out a career as a seasoned and in demand session guitarist across a multitude of platforms including private guitar tuition.
ACM caught up with Drew recent to discuss over a decade working in the music industry.
What have you been up to since graduating from ACM in 2002?
Since 2002 i have worked with lots of bands – mainly studio and touring – as well as teaching. More recently however I was asked to play guitar on ‘Taboo’ The Boy George musical (2012). From there I joined the ‘Bohemian Rhapsody: The Songs of Queen’ tour for a two month stint. Following these two great opportunities, Mike Dixon then recommended me to Laurie Wisefield (Guitar 2 at We Will Rock You) on which I’ve been depping since October 2013.
I have also just completed an album for Nathan James (Superstar, Trans Siberian Orchestra), which is due for release this year and who has asked to be part of his band alongside Neil Fairclough (currently playing in Queen) and filling for Boy George’s current guitarist (John Themis) on the video shoot for his forthcoming new single release.
Drew Lowe’s Guitar and Performance CV to Date
- Cool Rider (Grease 2) – Guitar 2
- Boy George – Guitar Player on current video for new single called ‘My God’
- Rachel Tucker (Wicked, We Will Rock You) – Guitar dep for solo show
- We Will Rock You (West End) – Current Dep Guitar 2 for Laurie Wisefield (Wishbone Ash, Tina Turner). Playing alongside Neil Murray (Whitesnake), Alan Darby (Eric Clapton, Robert Palmer, Bonnie Rait)
- Nathan James ( Superstar, The voice, Trans Siberian Orchestra)
Current Touring guitar player alongside Bass player/Songwriter Neil Fairclough (Queen)
Recorded Debut Album at Outhouse studios (Producer John Mitchell, It Bites) with guest guitarists Al Pitrelli, Gus G, Mick Moody and drummers Craig Blundell, Ash Soan, Andy Treacey.
- Bohemian Rhapsody: The Music of Queen – Principal guitar player (electric / acoustic) for UK tour.
- Archie and The Instincts – Touring guitar player. Signed to Gravity DIP records Won XFM competition, Live XFM session
- Violent Delight – Touring guitar player supporting Ilnino at the London Astoria with various sold out gigs and festivals played around the UK. Signed to Warner Brothers/Albert’s Publishing and had top 25 single
- Hollowman Vs/Dead Relative – Touring guitar player. Signed to Universal Records and played numerous shows around the UK.
- Selladore – Guitar player/band member and touring guitar player whose members include Ben Macrow (ex violent delight bass player) and Nick (ex guitar player of Vex Red).
- Dark Globe – Touring guitar player for two headline UK tours (Dance/Electronica music)
- Cape Fear – Co-Songwriter and guitar player. Signed and published by Modern World Records.
- Vincent Kane – Co-Songwriter with Damion Anderson and guitar player
- Circles – Current member, songwriter and guitar player. The debut video aired on Kerrang TV
(‘Send a light’) in June 2012 with further EP and album releases.
Taboo: The Boy George Musical – Principal guitar player (Acoustic / Lead Electric Guitar)
What are your plans for 2014?
I’ll be mostly focusing on Nathan’s forthcoming album and future tours as well as continuing to dep on ‘We Will Rock You’.
ACM would like to thank alumnus Drew Lowe for getting back in touch and wish him well for all his forthcoming projects.
Drew Lowe uses Elixir Strings and Rob Chapman Guitars.